There's something beautifully clean and refreshing about pine oil that makes anyone want to linger. Did you ever wonder why? Surprisingly, pine oil does more than the crisp scent common to car fresheners. More than an uplifter of the mood, this essential oil offers many benefits for your health and home. Ready to discover its secrets? Read on below.
Pine oil is a pale-colored substance with varying scents, depending on its source. It could produce a fresh forest aroma or a strong and dry, sour odor. The oil is derived from steam distillation of the pine tree family, which includes the Norway Pine, Long Leaf Pine and the Dwarf Pine. Despite the difference in its sources, most extracts produce similar effects. Among them:
- Skin care and cosmetics. Among the basic health benefits of pine oil is its capability to treat various skin problems, such as pimples, sores, scabies, psoriasis and other skin diseases. Regular application gives you smooth and glowing skin, thanks to its antioxidant properties that fight away free radicals, which causes premature aging.
- Increase metabolism. A whiff of pine oil gives you a boost in your activity. But more than its outward effects, pine oil also has the ability to cure intestinal problems due to its diuretic properties. It flushes toxins and excess water, keeping your kidneys healthy.
- Pain killer. Regarded as a potent analgesic, pine oil is a perfect remedy for those who are suffering from various rheumatic conditions. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits which reduces redness of the affected muscles. Apply pine oil on the sore areas of the body and immediately find relief!
- Relieve stress and anxiety. The scent of pine oil stimulates energy and is powerful enough to remove stress and fatigue, giving one's heart a good cheering. This mood elevating property of the pine oil helps provide mental clarity and removes tension. People suffering from poor concentration and memory loss can benefit from this refreshing aroma.
- Improve eye health. Macular degeneration and cataracts are among the many eye problems caused by free radicals. Pine oil, with its antioxidant elements can help neutralize these toxins and aid in bettering one's vision.
- Respiratory boost. You may not know this, but pine oil is a great cough and cold expectorant. This ability makes it a great treatment for mucus and phlegm, reducing the buildup in your respiratory tracts and in turn, strengthens your immune system. How to benefit from it? Use pine oil as a natural spray for your room, or use it with a humidifier. Take note that consumption of this oil can be dangerous and may incur kidney damage, so use this sparingly and with caution.
Other than health, pine oil can have many practical uses for the home. Use this as an insect repellant. Protect your favorite sweaters from moth by placing drops of this oil in your cabinets and drawers. Remove the scent of stale air and cigarettes by spraying it into the room. If you're into DIY soaps and candles, you can use this as the main fragrance. Blend it with rosemary and jojoba for a harmonious aroma.
Looking for ways to store away your favorite essential oils? We’ve got the right containers that speak a lot of character! Visit our shop today.